Numerous people use ginger in their cuisine nowadays. Because of that, it has become one of the most widely used kitchen ingredients worldwide. Besides, it provides medicinal properties as well. Ginger root is the most beneficial part and the one which is mostly used. It contains more than 120 chemical compounds, one of them being gingerols.
Moreover, ginger root is rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which fight against numerous health issues. You might include this root into your daily diet in a lot of ways: you can add it in juices, smoothies, teas, and baked goods.
So, take a look at the following 10 benefits which ginger provides to your body if consumed on a daily basis!
- Relieves Digestive Problems – Ginger is rich in phenolic compounds which lowers the irritation in the digestive system. They boost the saliva and bile production and eases the flows of the fluids and foods through the gastrointestinal tract. In a study conducted over 24 participants who consumed 1.2 g of ginger powder prior to their meals, it was found that this root accelerate their digestion by 50%.
- Improves Nutrient Absorption – Nutrients absorption is very important to that they can go from the mouth to colon. If food stuck, it ferments and later causes a life-threatening obstruction. Nutrient deficiencies are caused by improper digestion. Luckily, ginger improves the food digestion and by so doing, it boosts the immunity.
- Relieves Nausea – Drinking ginger tea or eating it raw, will treat nausea during pregnancy. According to a study, 1278 pregnant women were relieved from nausea by consuming 1.1 to 1.5 gr of ginger.
- Clears Sinuses – The main anti-inflammatory components of ginger, gingerols, reduce the swollen nasal membranes and suppress the mucus production. They relieve the stuffy nose and clear the sinuses!
- Reduces Joint Pain – In a recent research that involved 247 people who suffered from knee osteoarthritis, it was found that ginger extract relieved the pain for a while. So, add some ginger essential oil in the bath to reduce joint and muscle pain.
- Lowers the Risk of Heart Disease – Consuming 2 grams of ginger on a daily basis will lower the sugar levels in your blood, especially if you suffer from diabetes. In a study it was proved that ginger decreased the glucose level in the blood by 10% during 12 weeks. It lowered the heart risk by 10%.
- Reduces Cholesterol – Ginger consumption on a daily basis (at least 3 mg) for 45 days will lower the cholesterol levels significantly.
- Improves Brain Function – Ginger lowers the risk of age-related cognitive issues such as Alzheimer’s disease. In this situation, inflammation and oxidative stress are the main 2 factors which accelerate the aging process.
- Anti-Cancer Properties – Ginger has 6-gingerol, a compound that treat various cancer types. In a study it was proved that only 3 grams of ginger per day lower the pro-inflammatory molecules which are present in the colon. However, ginger still has to be researched before its anti-carcinogenic characteristics to be approved.
- Relieves Menstrual Pain – 1 gram of ginger on a daily basis lower the menstrual pain significantly. It’s even more effective than ibuprofen and mefenamic acid!
So, have these facts in mind and start consuming ginger more often by adding it into your diet. Watch the following video to learn how to prepare a delicious ginger tea: