A lot of people are ignorant of all of the health benefits of the root vegetables. They are extremely rich in complex carbohydrates which boosts the energy levels and fiber that prevents haemorrhoids and constipation. Moreover, these roots lower the risk of colon cancer.
Root veggies are rich in vitamin A as well, which is incredibly important for sharp vision and healthy eyes. Besides, they contain vitamin C that strengthen the immunity and improves skin complexion. Take a look at the following list of the healthiest root veggies and include them into your daily diet:
- Carrots – They are abundant in vitamin A and are amazingly beneficial for the eyes. Studies proved that the regular consumption of carrots improves the lungs function. Moreover, carrots can be consumed raw, steamed, roasted, or added into smoothies.
- Butternut squash – This is also a rich source of vitamin A, the darker color, the more vitamin A there is. Therefore, always chose for butternut squash that has deepest orange color. In addition, this root veggie contains calcium, vitamin C, and magnesium.
- Beets – According to experts, beets have betalains which promote liver health and at the same time, eliminate all bodily toxins. That’s why numerous people add beets to their salads or smoothies. They are rich in zinc, potassium, phosphorus, and magnesium.
- Radishes – Radishes are commonly known for their capacity to eliminate the harmful substances which are accumulated in the body. Therefore, experts consider that the regular consumption of radishes reduces the risk of cancer and keep the body hydrated.
- Yams – These come in many different varieties, meaning that you can easily incorporate them into your daily diet. Yams are extremely rich in potassium which lowers the blood pressure, and in vitamin B6, which improves the function of the brain, blood vessels, and nerves.
- Fennel – It’s rich in iron, an essential mineral for red blood cells production. These seeds can prevent anemia as well, therefore are extremely beneficial for the general health.
- Turnips – They have iron which prevents anemia. Compared to cabbage, kale, and Brussels sprouts, turnips contain a high vitamin C content that boosts the immunity.
- Cassava – It’s an excellent source of energizing carbohydrates. Additionally, it contains dietary fiber. It can be boiled or added to stews. You can also eat it by turning it into chips.
- Sweet potatoes – They are one of the healthiest root veggies because they have an amazing nutritional profile. They are high in vitamins C, A, and E, potassium, and magnesium. They are extremely versatile and might be consumed baked, roasted, or turned into pies.
- Jerusalem artichokes – These are more similar to potatoes than artichokes. They have high content of phosphorus, potassium, iron, calcium, manganese, and vitamin B1 and C.